Meta Baptist Church
Sunday, November 18, 2018
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:26

Meta Baptist Mission was established by the first Baptist Church of Pikeville, Kentucky, on June 29, 1958, in a four-room store building at Meta near Johns Creek High School, with 48 people present.

Reverend Harold Wainscott, Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Pikeville and the Reverend Jim Lochridge, Mission Pastor, preached on alternating Sundays. Reverend Wainscott conducted the first revival here in the fall of 1958. There were 23 additions by baptism and 7 by letter at that time.

In November, 1958, the church and mission purchased a 3.2 acre plot of land across the highway from the store building for $2,500. Tent revivals were held on this lot in the summers of 1959, 1960, and 1961 with Reverend Bill Lodick and the Reverend H. G. M. Hatler preaching.

James Lockridge resigned as mission pastor in February, 1959, to accept appointment as a foreign missionary to the Philippine Islands. Eddie Henson was called to be the first full time pastor. He and Mrs. Henson moved on the field in June, 1959. The Home Mission board and State Mission board joined in helping the church and mission with his salary. In the fall of 1959, the four-room house adjacent to the original building was rented to supply additional Sunday School space.

Construction of the parsonage began in May, 1960 and finished in December of the same year. Leon Huffman served as chairman of the building committee. The full basement has served as the sanctuary for the mission from June, 1960 to the present. Costing $11,228.36, it was constructed primarily of donated labor. It is valued at approximately $18,000.00.